Mombasa city is a coastal town in Kenya and one of our most popular healthcare internships abroad placement destinations. It is the country’s oldest town and the second largest after the capital city Nairobi.
It is a beautiful city with a lot of exotic and scenic attractions, adrenaline rushing activities and tropical ambiance that make it a favorable place to visit. Being a great worldwide tourist destination, it has a variety of fun activities that you can undertake which include;
- A Visit to Mamba Village
This is a crocodile farm located in Nyali and the largest crocodile farm in Africa. Your tour of the farm begins with a video presentation that introduces you to many reptile species and the valuable roles they play in the ecosystems of the world and the fascinating facts, such as the longevity of the species on earth, bite force and their average lifespan, will give you a greater appreciation for these prehistoric animals.
- A Visit to the Haller Park
Haller Park is a nature park in Bamburi area of Mombasa and probably one of the places you should not miss when you are in Mombasa. Here you will have a unique close of contact with the different species in the man-made park. The attractions to be found in this Coastal Sanctuary include a Crocodile Farm, Reptile Park with a rich variety of snake species, beautiful serene Palm Garden and Game Sanctuary. Watch Sally, Potty, and Cleo, hippos, feed at the Game Sanctuary at 4.00pm daily.
- A Visit to Fort Jesus
Fort Jesus Museum located in Mombasa Island was built by the Portuguese in 1593-1596 to the designs of Giovanni Battista Cairati to protect the port of Mombasa and is one of the most outstanding and well-preserved examples of 16th Portuguese military fortification and a landmark in the history of this type of construction.
- Sample out NightLife
For the nightlife lovers, Mombasa city has a lot to offer. From the modern discos to the beach clubs. Get to sample some of the Mombasa finest like the very best clubs and discotheques. You will get some taste of the coastal music i.e the Taarab and also sample out African music from various artists. Some perfect nightlife clubs for you can go to are;
- Bella Vista: a perfect place for raving with ample security at the City Centre.
- New Florida Night Club houses Mombasa’s liveliest nightclub.
- Casablanca Restaurant and Club on Mnazi Moja Road pulls in a western crowd; the music is good and the beer is perfectly chilled.
- Pirates Club is another club that has been going on for years and is the place to check out for a great nightlife in this buzzing city.
- Aqua Bar: A beautiful place to spend an evening taking a drink or having dinner/lunch with a beautiful view of the Indian Ocean. This is part of the Nyali Beach Hotel situated 15mins walk from our Mombasa Program residence.
There are many business centers and malls where you can do some shopping. You could buy clothes, shoes, and souvenirs just to mention a few. Some of the shopping centers include;
- Mombasa Tailoring Mart is recommended for tailored African shirts. Umed Mode is also reliable for safari suits.
- The Bombolulu Workshops and Cultural Center has a showroom selling jewelry, clothes, carvings, and other crafts.
- Akamba Handicraft Industry Cooperative Society produces very fine animal wood carving. This is the place to get your customized wood carvings at affordable rates.
- Masai Market Every Wednesdays and Thursdays it’s open day for Masai Market at the City Mall in Nyali Mombasa. This is the best place to get all the African attires that you may desire from wood carvings, dresses, earrings, bracelets
- Sample out the local dishes
Mombasa city is also famous for its Swahili cuisine, which is a blend of Arabic and African cooking styles. Make sure you get to sample the local cuisines before you go back home. Some of these cuisines are Pilau which is a Middle Eastern or Indian dish of rice (or sometimes wheat) cooked in stock with spices, typically having added meat or vegetables; biryani which is an Indian dish made with highly seasoned rice and meat, fish, or vegetables and some African spices and other local delicacies like Mshikaki and the coconut rice. At Elective Africa, we make sure that once in a while we prepare the local delicacies for you at the residence
- A Visit to the Pristine Beaches
Mombasa has some of the best beaches in the world. The sandy and sunny beaches make it one of the most visited coastal destinations in the world. Therefore, do not leave Mombasa if you have not visited the beach. There are varieties of activities that you could do at the beach like jerking, snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming, camel riding and many more. There are also many beach pubs and you could enjoy your drinks or meals while relaxing at the beach
- Wasini Dhow and Dolphin Excursion
If you are looking for an exciting full day excursion in Mombasa, the Wasini dhow and Dolphin excursion are some of the best options to take. Wasini lies off the southern coast of Kenya opposite the harbor of the village Shimoni. You will spend a day interacting with the dolphins and swimming if you a lover of water.
- Visit Mombasa Old Town
The Mombasa old town is well known for its ancient buildings, extravagant art designs and curio shops that sell antique and popular Kenyan souvenirs. In the streets of the Old town, you also get a unique opportunity of learning about Swahili Culture and the different spices sold along the narrow paths.
- Visit the Mombasa Marine Park
Another exciting activity to do in Mombasa is visiting the different marine parks. The Mombasa Marine park as branded by the Kenya Wildlife service is an “allure of natural beauty”. It provides a home to a colorful variety of marine species including crabs, starfish, stonefish, cucumbers sea urchins, corals, turtles, seagrasses and interesting migratory birds including crab plovers. The Marine Park is also ideal for activities like windsurfing, water skiing, snorkeling and diving
Whatever activity it is that you want to undertake, whether within or outside Mombasa, At Elective Africa we are always dedicated to advising and guiding you all through. Talk to us and we will work for hand in hand with you to give you a very customized excursion experience.